What we do
The Indian Music Industry (IMI), a trade body represents India’s Recorded Music Industry, responsible for promoting the economic interest and soft power of music labels registered in India. We are affiliated with the International Federation of phonographic Industry (IFPI) which is the apex body of the global recording industry.
As a trade body, we champion the interest of our members which include 204 music companies, with a vision to defend, preserve and develop the rights of the recorded music industry, protect the intellectual property and facilitate the evolution of fair trade practises. We act as an advocate for the industry domestically and internationally. IMI is administered by a secretariat guided by the chairman and the Board of Directors. The board comprising a mix of owners & senior executives from national, international and regional record labels.
We work towards:
- Existence of a strong music industry results in nurturing and propagation of a rich musical culture. IMI plays an increasingly vital role in the following activities:
- Enforcement of right and fair valuation for music rights.
- Promoting best practices in copyright law and its enforcement.
- Supporting International Copyright conventions.
- Evaluating and Promoting new technologies mainly for assisting right owners.
- Celebrating success of music by promoting IMI's Gold & Platinum Awards.
- Lobbying with the Government and other stake holders on industry related matters.
- Building public awareness about copyright and fair valuation for music created by phonogram producers through campaigns and reports.